I Am Africville is a metaphor for perseverance
The history of Africville before the mid-1800's is somewhat cloudy. It's almost impossible to pinpoint who were considered to be the first residents of Africville.
What we do know is...
What we do know is...
- In 1836, is when Campbell road was built, the road that connected Africville to Halifax. Hence the settlements name, the "Campbell Road Settlement".
- It was in 1848, when the first land was purchased by William Arnold, and William Brown.
- In 1849, is when Africville held it's first church congregation, which would become Seaview African United Baptist church.
- In 1854, the construction of the Inter-colonial Railway began, which led to a few houses on the south side of Campbell road to be removed.
- In 1860, Africville petitions the government for financial aid to support a qualified teacher.
- In 1874, the Infectious Diseases Hospital is built on the hill overlooking the community of Africville.
- In 1883, was when the the first school in Africville was opened under the jurisdiction of the City government.
- In 1945, is when the Civic Planning Commission recommended the removal of the Africville community.
- In 1947, Africville is designated as industrial land, by Halifax City Council.
- In 1953, the Africville school is closed by the City of Halifax, and Africville residents were forced to transfer to schools in the north end of Halifax.
- In the mid 1950's, is when the city dump relocated a near the Africville church.
- In 1957, the Halifax City Council set forth a motion to expropriate the land Africville was on, in order to make way for the North Shore Development Plan.
- In 1962, is when the Halifax City Planning Board clears an engineering and cost study for the development of the north shore of the Bedford Basin.
- The last baptism takes place at Seaview African United Baptist Church.
- From 1964 to 1967, the residents of Africville are relocated, and the whole community bulldozed to the ground.
- In 1970, is when the last remaining resident of Africville "Pa Carvery" left his residence.
- In 1972, four elders from the Seaview African United Church organized the first gathering of the community of Africville since the relocation: The elders were sister Laura Howe, sister Elsie Desmond, sister Aletha Mantley, and sister Emma Steed. Together with the assistance of Rev. J.C. Mack of the Cornwallis Baptist Church and his deacons, a church service and picnic took place.
- In 1982, Deborah Dixon, Linda Mantley, and Brenda Steed-Ross created the Africville Genealogy Society to keep the memory of Africville alive.
- The FIRST Africville reunion kicks off in the summer of 1983. The Africville Reunion is a weekend in the summer where former residents of Africville, descendants of Africville, or anybody that wants to celebrate and remember the history of Africville can do that together!
- In 2002, Africville was officially designated a National Historic Site of Canada.
- In 2006, a very detailed feasibility study and business plan for the Seaview Church replica, and Africville Interpretive Centre was completed.
- In 2008, was when Africville celebrated their 25th annual Africville Reunion.
- In 2009, was when the renaming of "Service Road" to "Africville Road" happened.
- In 2010, Africville receives a Public Apology from City of Halifax's then mayor Peter Kelly. Under the terms of the apology, the the Africville Heritage Trust was awarded 3.5 million for the construction and and taking care of the replica Seaview Church.
- In 2011, is when the process started to have the 2.5 acres of land at Seaview Park deeded to the Africville Heritage Trust.
- In 2012, the replica of the old Seaview African United Church was officially completed, and opened to the public.
- In 2014, the Africville Stamp is released by Canada Post.
- In 2016, a petition for better accessibility to the Africville Museum was created.
- In 2017, the first Easter Sunrise church service was held since 50 years ago at the replica church, which is actually the Africville Museum.